CT Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD)
We have been fortunate to have a strong partner at DECD. DECD has provided the Town EDC and HEDC with project funds for several kinds of redevelopment eligible activities and projects. Assessment, remediation, pollution liability insurance and many other eligible expenses have made brownfield redevelopment possible in Hamden.
DECD programs include the Regional Brownfield Grant Project, the Targeted Brownfield Development Loan Program, and the Brownfield Remediation and Revitalization Program.
Regional Brownfield Grant Project
Eligible projects and applicants are those that remediate brownfields for new or expanded manufacturing, affordable housing, and other economic-base industries. These grants may be used in coordination and conjunction with other state brownfield grant and loan programs for the purpose of stimulating private investment and development in brownfields for reuse.
Eligible uses of assistance:
- Investigation and classification, assessment
- Remediation, abatement, hazardous materials or water disposal
- Planning, engineering and architectural surveys and design
- Feasibility studies, appraisals, market studies and related activities
- Acquisition of real property, provided financial assistance for such acquisition shall not exceed fair market value
- Site work and infrastructure improvements
- Building and structural issues including demolition, asbestos abatement, polychlorinated biphenyls removal, contaminated wood or paint removal, and other infrastructure remedial activities
Targeted Brownfield Development Loan Program
The Targeted Brownfield Development Loan Program provides financial assistance in the form of low-interest loans to applicants who seek to develop property for purposes of retaining or expanding jobs in the state or for developing housing to serve the needs of first-time home buyers. Loans shall be available to manufacturing, retail, residential or mixed-use developments, expansions or reuses.
- Costs of investigation and assessment
- Remediation, abatement, hazardous materials or waste disposal
- Planning and engineering
- Acquisition of real property
- Construction of site and infrastructure improvements related to the site remediation
- Building and structural work including demolition, asbestos abatement, polychlorinated biphenyls removal, contaminated wood or paint removal, groundwater monitoring and environmental insurance
Brownfield Remediation and Revitalization Program
The Brownfield Remediation and Revitalization Program offers certain liability protection to program participants.
- Applicants must meet the definition of a bona fide prospective purchaser, an innocent land owner or contiguous property owner.
- The subject property must meet the definition of a brownfield and have been subject to a release of a regulated substance.
- Applicants must not be responsible for any pollution on the property, nor be affiliated with any person responsible for the site pollution.
- The property should not be listed on the national priorities list, the State of Connecticut Superfund Priority List, or subject to corrective action as may be required by RCRA environmental regulatory agencies.